400 – Business Short Stay With Permission To Work

Any work is confined to 12 weeks with specific permission to work.

The visa can be issued for a 6 month period with multiple re-entry but allowing only 3 months work.

  • If you are from a non – ETA country, then you will be required to make an application at an Australian Embassy.
  • If you are from an ETA country, you can apply online.
  • An ETA country is defined by the passport you hold.
  • You must apply outside Australia.

The Visa Application

It is imperative to show that the employee:

  • Has genuine intention and need to come to Australia temporarily for business purposes.
  • Has a business background related to their stay in Australia.
  • Has adequate funds to support their stay in Australia.

Unlike 457, this visa does not require a company nomination or sponsorship.

Applicants who cannot apply online, are required to submit a letter of support from the Australian business along with a submission explaining the nature of the travel.

If you are considering working in Australia longer than 12 weeks, then you need to apply for a 457 work permit which is sponsored by an employing company. This can be applied for in or outside Australia.

The 400 visa subclass may require assistance.

ASM will:

  • Provide you with your own communication portal
  • Provide a detailed Checklist and Information Sheets
  • Understand your requirements
  • Partner with you & step your business through the process
  • Ensure that only correct and complete information is lodged with DIBP
  • Complete the forms and submissions
  • Follow through to visa decision
  • Reduce your stress

651, 600 & 601 – Business (Short Stay)

The business visitor visa allows a stay of 3 months on each visit to Australia unless the visa specifies a lesser period.

Visitor visa (subclass 600)

The Visitor visa (subclass 600) allows:

  • For tourism or business visitor activities;
  • Usually issued for 12 months with 3 months each stay;
  • Multiple re- entry while the visa is valid;
  • You can apply in Australia for the tourist visa part of this visa;
  • You have to apply outside Australia for the business part of this visa;
  • Business visitor activities may include attending a conference, negotiation or an exploratory business visit.

Business activities include:

  • making a general business or employment enquiry;
  • investigating, negotiating, entering into, or reviewing a business contract;
  • an activity carried out as part of an official government to government visit;
  • participation in a conference, trade fair or seminar in Australia unless the person is being paid by an organiser for participation.

Business activities do not include:

  • an activity that is, or includes, undertaking work for, or supplying services to, an organisation or other person based in Australia;
  • an activity that is, or includes, the sale of goods or services directly to the general public.

If you are intending to do short-term work in Australia you need to apply for Temporary work visa (subclass 400).

Electronic Travel Authority – ETA (Subclass 601)

ETA lets you visit Australia for tourism or business purposes if you hold a passport from a certain countries.

  • This is only for ETA – eligible passports.
  • This visa is issued for up to 12 months with 3 months each stay.
  • Multiple re-entry while the visa is valid.
  • The business purposes are the same as those set out under Subclass 600 above.
  • It may also include 3 months study or training.
  • You must be outside Australia when you apply and when the ETA is granted.
  • An ETA is linked electronically to your passport.
  • It can be seen by staff at airlines, travel agencies and Australian border agencies.
  • Each member of your family must apply individually for an ETA.

EVisitor (Subclass 651)

eVisitor lets you visit Australia for tourism or business purposes if you hold an e-Visitor eligible passport:

  • Business purposes may include attending a conference, negotiation or an exploratory business visit.
  • You cannot work for or provide services to a business or organisation in Australia or sell goods or services to the public.
  • You may stay for up to three months during each visit during the 12 months from the date the eVisitor is granted.
  • You must be outside Australia at time of application and grant.

Click here for consultation.